John F Munsell
Associate Professor and Forest Management Extension Specialist
B.A., Tulane University (1995); M.S., State University of New York (2003); Ph.D., State University of New York (2007)
Interest Areas: Private Forestland Stewardship; Agroforestry and Whole Farm Planning; Bioenergy and Family Forest Sustainability; Collaborative Conservation; Integrated Natural Resources Problem Solving.
Professional Activities and Awards
Non-timber Product Output Report for Forest Inventory Analysis
Forest Farming eXtension Community of Practice
Native Fruit and Nut Tree Riparian Buffers in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed
Agroforestry Preferences and Procedures in Cameroon
Building the Capacity of Appalachian Forest Farming Networks
Forest Certification Stakeholders
Bioenergy and Family Forest Sustainability
Virginia's Link to Education about Forests (LEAF) Program. www.valeaf.org
- Munsell, J.F., B.J. Addlestone, C.J Bukowski, L. Nkembi, N. Kingsly, and E.A. Moore. in press. Relationships between agroforestry and community development according to practitioners. Agroforestry Systems.
- Franz, N.K, J.F. Munsell, T.N. Brown, and H.K. Chittum. 2017. Evaluate naturally and quickly with Just-in-Time program evaluation. Journal of Extension. 55(1).
- Lal, P., B. Wolde; J.R.R. Alavalapati, P. Burli, and J.F. Munsell. 2016. Forestland Owners' Willingness to Plant Pine on Non-Forested Land for Woody Bioenergy in Virginia. Forest Policy and Economics. 73(2016):52-57.
- Polys, N.F., P.M. Sforza, W.C. Hession, and J.F. Munsell. 2016. Extensible Experiences: Fusality for Stream and Field. In: Proceedings of the 21th International Conference on 3D Web Technology (Web3D '16). ACM, New York, NY, USA.
- Munsell, J.F., S.M McCabe, and J.R. Seiler. 2016. Forestry education in US Southern Piedmont high school science classes. Journal of Forestry. 114(4):441-448.
- Wolde, B., P. Lal, J.R.R. Alavalapti, and J.F. Munsell. 2016. Factors affecting forestland owners' allocation of non-forested land to pine plantation for bioenergy in Virginia. Biomass and Bioenergy. 85(2016):69-75.
- Barrett, S.M., W.M. Aust, M.C. Bolding, W.A. Lakel, and J.F. Munsell. 2016. Estimated Erosion, Ground Cover, and Best Management Practices Audit Details for Post-Harvest Evaluations of Biomass and Conventional Clearcut Harvests. Journal of Forestry. 114(1):9-16.
- Barrett, S.M., W.M. Aust, M.C. Bolding, W.A. Lakel, and J.F. Munsell. 2016. Implementation of Forestry Best Management Practices on Biomass and Conventional Harvesting Operations in Virginia. Water. 8(3):89.
- Cristan, R., W.M. Aust, M.C. Bolding, S.M. Barrett, J.F. Munsell, and E. Schilling. 2016. Effectiveness of forestry best management practices in the United States: Literature review. Forest Ecology and Management. 360:130-151.
- Kimball, L.L., P.E. Wiseman, S.D. Day, and J.F. Munsell. 2014. Use of urban tree canopy assessments by localities in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed. Cities and the Environment. 7(2):1-16.
- Barrett, S.M., M.C. Bolding, W.M. Aust, and J.F. Munsell. 2014. Characteristics of logging businesses that harvest biomass for energy production. Forest Products Journal. 64(7-8):265-272.
- Bond, B.H., S. Lyon, J.F. Munsell, S.M. Barrett, and J.L. Gagnon. 2014. Perceptions of Virginia's primary forest products manufactures regarding forest certification. Forest Products Journal. 64(7-8):242-249.
- Campell, C.D., J.R. Seiler, P.E. Wiseman, B.D. Strahm, and J.F. Munsell. 2014. Soil carbon dynamics in residential lawns converted from Appalachian mixed oak stands. Forests. 5(3). 425-438
- Moore, E.A., J.F. Munsell, A.L. Hammett, and K.M. Moore. 2014. Agroforestry preferences in refugee hosting communities in Cameroon. Agroforestry Systems. 88(4):735-752.
- McCabe, S.M., J.F. Munsell, and J.R. Seiler. 2014. Forest Field Trips among high school science teachers in the southern Piedmont. Natural Sciences Education. 43:44–50 (2014).
- Trozzo, K.E., J.F. Munsell, and J.L. Chamberlain. 2014. Landowner interest in multifunctional agroforestry riparian buffers. Agroforestry Systems. 88(4):619-629.
- Trozzo, K.E., J.F. Munsell, J.L. Chamberlain, and W.M. Aust. 2014. Potential adoption of agroforestry riparian buffers based on landowner and streamside characteristics. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 69(2).140-150.
- VanBrakle, J.D., R.H Germain, J.F. Munsell, and S.V. Stehman. 2013. Do forest management plans increase BMP implementation on family forests? A formative evaluation in New York City's watershed. Journal of Forestry. 11(2):108-114.
- Johnson J.W., J.H. Fike, W.B. Fike, J.A. Burger, J.R. McKenna, J.F. Munsell, and S.C. Hodges. 2013. Millwood honeylocust trees: Seedpod nutritive value and yield characteristics. Agroforestry Systems. 81(4):849-856
- Vaughan, R.C., J.F. Munsell, and J.L. Chamberlain. 2013. Opportunities for enhancing non-timber forest products management in the United States. Journal of Forestry. 111(1):26-33.
- Johnson, J.W., J.H. Fike, W.B. Fike, J.A. Burger, J.F. Munsell, J.R. McKenna, and S.C. Hodges. 2012. Millwood and wild type honeylocust seedpod nutritive value changes over winter. Crop Science. 52:2807-2816.
- Brinckman, M.D. and J.F. Munsell. 2012. Disproportionality, social marketing, and biomass availability: A case study of Virginia and North Carolina family forests. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry. 36(2):85-91.
- Barrett, S.M., M.C. Bolding, and J.F. Munsell. 2012. Evaluating continuing education needs and program effectiveness using a survey of Virginia’s SHARP logger program participants. Journal of Extension. 50(1).
- Munsell, J.F., S.M. Barrett, and M.C. Bolding. 2011. An exploratory study of biomass harvesting among logging firms in Virginia and North Carolina. Forest Science. 57(5):427-434.
- Munsell, J.F.and T.R. Fox. 2010. An analysis of the feasibility for increasing woody biomass production from pine plantations in the southern United States. Biomass and Bioenergy. 34(12):1631-1642.
- Radtke, P.J. and J.F. Munsell. 2010. Wikipeda as a tool for forestry outreach. Journal of Forestry. 108(7):354-359.
- Bolding, M.C., S.M. Barrett, J.F. Munsell, and M.C. Groover. 2010. Characteristics of Virginia’s logging businesses in a changing timber market. Forest Products Journal. 60(1):86-93.
- Munsell, J.F., J.L. Gagnon, S. Barrett, and E. Powell. 2010. Virginia’s link to education about forestry (LEAF) program. Journal of Extension. 48(3).
- Luzadis, V.A., L. Castello, J. Choi, C.B. Franco, E. Greenfield, S. Kim, J.F. Munsell, E. Nordman, and F. Olowabi. 2010. The science of ecological economics: A content analysis of Ecological Economics, 1989–2004. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 1185:1-10.
- Munsell, J.F., R. Hamilton, and A. Downing. 2009. Prospective scope of forest management education at James Madison’s Montpelier. Journal of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Education. 38:198-203.
- Munsell, J.F., R.H. Germain, V.A. Luzadis, and E. Bevilacqua. 2009. Owner intentions, previous harvests, and future timber yield on 50 working NIPF in New York State. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 26(2):45-51.
- Munsell, J.F., R.H Germain, and I.A. Munn. 2008. A tale of two forests: Case study comparisons of sustained yield management on Mississippi and New York nonindustrial private forestland. Journal of Forestry. 106(8):431-439.
- Munsell, J.F.and R.H. Germain. 2007. Woody biomass energy: An opportunity for silviculture on non-industrial private forestlands in New York. Journal of Forestry. 105(8): 398-402.
- Munsell, J.F.and R.H. Germain. 2007. Measuring BMP knowledge and implementation among Catskill/Delaware watershed NIPF owners. Proceedings: international conference on transfer of forest science knowledge and technology. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-726. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 255 p.
- Germain, R.H., J.F. Munsell, and K. Brazill. 2007. The New York City watershed model forests revisited five years later: an assessment of successes, failures, and challenges for the future. Journal of Extension. 45(3).
- Munsell, J.F., R.H. Germain, E. Bevilacqua, and R.M. Schuster. 2006. Voluntary BMP implementation by NIPF owners in New York City's water supply system. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 23(2):133-140.
- Germain, R.H. and J.F. Munsell. 2005. How much land is needed for the harvest access system on non-industrial private forestlands dominated by northern hardwoods? Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 22(4): 243-247
- Munsell, J.F. and R.H. Germain. 2004. Forestry extension participation and written forest management plan use in New York City's water supply system. Journal of Extension. 42(2).